1. Going to try making this earl grey oatmeal with cardamom cream this weekend. (I do have a thing for cardamom)
2. Often style tips strike me as somewhere between obvious and condescending, if not wildly incompatible with individuality, but these are quite rational.
3. I want one or possibly several of these suede obi belts. Trying to decide which colors. The rust, the mint? The black definitely.
4. Found interesting this intro to tea tasting language, applicable also to fragrance, wine, beer, chocolate, coffee…anything you can smell really. Useful to have these scent categories in your head.
5. Trying to decide between a Chemex and a Clever Coffee Dripper. Maybe will try both. Have been wanting to experiment with a pour over method, particularly if it means getting this adorable gooseneck kettle.
6. I liked these two wintry Dostoyevsky short stories berfrois posted just before Christmas.
7. Nigerian menswear brand Taryor Gabriels is doing sleek, beautifully structured suits with playful details. It’s impossible to guess how I might dress if I were a man—one of those hopelessly tangled hypotheticals—but maybe like this. I hope like this. Really I may dress like this anyhow. (link from messynessychic via GeekOutsider)
8. OK, Doc Martens Triumph 1914 boots (with vintage-feel floral print lining) vs. Steve Madden Troopa boots. Both have that turn of the century pioneer silhouette I so often like.
Tough call, right? Thoughts? Still debating.
I borrowed some lovely pearl pieces from the Etsy shop bluebirrrd dreams and, when Sarah, the shop owner, mentioned she loved wearing the lariat necklace as a bracelet, the look I envisioned took a most welcome turn for the bohemian. One of my favorite alter-egos.
I like the mixing of texture and color that often accompanies a bohemian look. The aesthetic is that of a happy jumble, and the profusion of irregular peacock pearls makes for an appealing accent. The careless, rumpled elements just improve the look. Conveniently.
I like long necklaces, which has come up already, and I particularly like a lariat; essentially one long string with no clasp that can be arranged as you please. This one has beautiful peacock coloring.
The sun was not cooperating today. Dubious interior background. [See that box? That box is full of wigs.]
Doc Martens, H&M leg warmers, Ralph Lauren Rugby cardigan, and…I can’t remember where the rest of this stuff is from. Variously thrifted. On the nails; Essie polish in Sew Psyched. On the lips; Lipstick Queen lipstick in Jean Queen*.
*I’ll talk more about this later, this formula is genius, more a luxe tinted balm, and this particular color is one of the most subtle and flattering pinks I’ve come across.
This eyeshadow is from MakeupGeek in the shade Goddess. Lovely sepia! Unfortunately it is almost perpetually out of stock.
Here I realize the cherry blossom pearl drop earrings I’ve borrowed would be fitting for this look, too.
This post is not sponsored. All opinions are my own. Featured pearls are on loan from Bluebirrrd Dreams.